Bathed by the Atlantic Ocean, Atlantic City impresses with miles of white sandy beaches and its many casinos, which turned it into the East Coast’s equivalent to Las Vegas. Even if you’re in the resort city on New Jersey’s Atlantic coast for gambling, it might be a good idea to save some time for sightseeing as well.
Major Attractions in Atlantic City
Atlantic City is an action-packed city – New Jersey’s center of entertainment – but it is also characterised by a rich culture and history. Museums, libraries and important landmarks will keep you busy while here.
Moreover, it was labelled the ‘Gambling Capital of the East Coast,’ and currently has eight large casinos and several smaller ones.
There are year-round events and festivals you can attend, as well as a lot of tourist attractions you shouldn’t miss while visiting.
- Walk along the world-famous Boardwalk and enjoy ocean views on one side and shopping on the other.
- Visit the historic, recently restored Absecon Lighthouse, the tallest lighthouse in New Jersey. Climb the 228 steps and you’ll be impressed by the breathtaking views of the Atlantic City skyline.
- Get in some gaming action at some of the world’s largest and most famous casinos, like Bally’s, Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, Golden Nugget or Harrah’s Resort.
- Enjoy fine art galleries, such as the Atlantic City Art Center.
- Take on adventures and reserve some time for water-based activities like parasailing, charter fishing and tall ship cruises.
- Don’t miss the Steel Pier — the nation’s first oceanside amusement park.
Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Borgata, owned by Marina District Development, opened its doors to the public in July 2003 and is now the top-grossing casino in Atlantic City. Gamblers will be greeted by a 161,000 square foot venue that offers:
- 4,000 slot machines
- 180 table games
- 50 poker tables.
Gamers interested in the poker program will be able to take part in daily tournaments and high-stake tournaments, along with the World Poker Tour.
Besides gambling, visitors can enjoy a modern spa, with a salon, a barbershop, a fitness center, and an indoor pool, world-class nightclubs like Premier and Gypsy Bar, and several entertainment venues like Borgata Festival Park, Borgata Music Box and Borgata Theatre.
Accommodation & Restaurants
The city offers a lot of options to tourists when it comes to accommodation and dining, and all big casinos also provide guest rooms and suites with scenic views. Among the best hotels in Atlantic City, we should mention:
- Trump Taj Mahal Casino Resort
- The Claridge
- Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
- Harrah’s Resort Atlantic City
- The Chelsea
For gourmands, the best restaurants where they can enjoy good food and drink are:
- Dock’s Oyster House
- White House Sub Shop
- Kesley & Kim’s Southern Café
Best time to visit
As it happens with many coast cities, peak tourist season for Atlantic City is during summers, from May to September. The summer events organised here make July and August the busiest months of the year. During winter, on the other hand, the city is quieter, as the temperatures fall down at 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
So if you want to avoid crowds but don’t like the snow, the best time to visit Atlantic City would be from March to May, when the weather is mild and nice. If it’s gambling you’re after, though, any point in the year is worth the trip.